Rotary Global Grant Scholarships for Academic Year 2024-2025
The three Rotary Clubs in the Charlottesville area are partnering to identify individuals who may qualify for Rotary Global Grant Scholarships supported by Virginia Rotary District 7610. The three clubs – Charlottesville, Blue Ridge Mountains, and Albemarle County Rotary Clubs – will assist scholarship applicants from the Charlottesville area for consideration by Rotary District 7610. The Global Grant Scholarships are intended to support dedicated graduate students who are committed to addressing global challenges in one of Rotary’s seven areas of focus:
- Peace and Conflict Prevention/Resolution
- Disease prevention and treatment
- Water and sanitation
- Maternal and child health
- Basic education and literacy
- Economic and community development
- Supporting the Environment
Scholarships will be awarded for graduate study outside the United States in a degree program, to individuals who demonstrate commitment to community service and excellent leadership skills and with a proven track record in their field of study or vocation. For the 2024-25 academic year, we anticipate two scholarships in the range of $40,000 from Rotary District 7610 will be awarded.
Candidates must travel abroad for study, live in a foreign host Rotary district while studying, and must either be proficient in the language of the host country or study in a graduate degree program taught in English in their host country. Rotary Global Grant Scholarships are funded by Rotary District 7610 funds matched by The Rotary International Foundation.
The selection of scholarship recipients is a multi-tiered process starting with the Charlottesville Rotary Clubs, which seek to identify qualified individuals who are students or permanent residents in Charlottesville/Albemarle County. Applicants are advised to adhere to the following general timeline:
Fall 2023 Selection Timeline for Scholarship Year 2024-2025:
- July 1 Application form available here
- September 25 Application deadline, submitted to Charlottesville/Albemarle clubs at RotaryGlobalScholarship@gmail.com.
- October 10 Local interviews in Charlottesville (if needed)
- October 20 Local clubs submit their nominees to District 7610
- November 10 Nominee interviews in Arlington, VA (or zoom if required)
- November 20 Deadline for communicating District decisions to all applicants
- November 26 Applicants should apply for admission to their planned institution by this date
- January 15 Selected candidates submit proof of acceptance into their program at host institution abroad
- January 20 Scholarship recipient and District 7610 initiates grant submission to The Rotary Foundation (TRF)
- February 20 Final deadline to complete and submit TRF application
- March 15 Anticipated date for final confirmation of award from Rotary International
Complete application submissions should include 1) the application form, 2) an updated resume/CV, and 3) an unofficial transcript from the College/University from which the applicant will graduate. More information on the scholarships, criteria, the application process and the application form is available through the District website: https://rotary7610.org/trf-scholarship-grants/
Additionally, you may want to look at Global Grant Terms and Conditions to seek answers to eligibility or other questions, and you may reference this guide for helpful tips on considering this opportunity and writing your application materials.
Applications, along with a copy of your transcript, and your resume/CV must be submitted to: RotaryGlobalScholarship@gmail.com - if you have been admitted to a graduate program already, please include a copy of your letter of admission.
Prospective candidates in Charlottesville/Albemarle County seeking support from the three local clubs should contact Ms. Ashley Ferguson, RGGS Alumna and local selection committee chair, and/or Mr. Andrus Ashoo, Director of the Office of Citizen Scholar Development at the University of Virginia, for guidance in applying for these scholarships.
With special thanks to Chris Elliott, Assistant Dean at the McIntire School of Commerce and past President of the Rotary Club of Charlottesville, local Rotary clubs have been nominating UVA students for this Rotary Global Grant Scholarship opportunity since 2017. See articles for previous recipients in recent in the UVA Today archive here.